Freedom Rangers vs. White Rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sovia, Jan 14, 2010.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I would like to get 25 birds this spring for butchering. From all I have read, I have decided that Cornish X are just not for me. This will be my first time raising birds for meat and am trying for the best experience possible! I am undecided between the freedom rangers sold by JM Hatchery and the white rocks I can pick up from my local feed store. I would appreciate any pros/cons someone might point out between the two.

2. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Idk about the freedom ranger but my feed store white rock is very small and doesnt seem to have any meat on her.

3. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Thanks, OSUman. I realize that nothing is going to compare to the plumpness I would find in a cornish x. Maybe the white rocks are being bred more for egg-laying than meat traits now?

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    The white rocks I've raised were not any meatier than any typical dual purpose breed. Good layers....but not what I would consider a meat bird like Freedom Rangers or Cornish (Cornish, not Cornish X).

5. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Thanks, Kim!

6. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    If only given the choice of the two . I would say Freedom Rangers. Mainly because White Rocks are not a meat breed. The Freedom Rangers in my opinon are one step up from a "dual purpose" breed. So if meat is what your looking for,and the choice is only between the two, I'd try the Rangers. JMHO Will

7. BirchHatchery

BirchHatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    indiana
    actuly white rocks would be my choice SOME BLOOD LINES IN ALL DUALR PROPUSE BREEDS ARE BRED FOR MEAT AND WHITE ROCKS ARE BIGGER look at mc murray hatchery white rocks their roosters their are mighty tasty and Mt Healthy Hatcherys white rocks are bigger than normal because they breed these for meat If u want meat Get all roosters not hens dont let ppl like these put down dual propuse meat thats jus cuz most of them are city folk who move to country thinkin their gonna be farmers n people told em that cornish rock is the only meat bird out their wich is a total crock . i raise leghorn roosters by the 100s for meat 2-3 lb carcess meat No FAT very good friers and i obtain them dirt cheap 10 cents a chick my grandfather also raise leghorns by the 100s all roosters people forget We all dont need a 6 lb pound bird with my leghorns we have no left overs and people around here luv these guys fried so id jus check but Butcher em at 20 weeks i find that the best time

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  8. sovia

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Thanks![​IMG]

9. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2007
    Georgia
    The Freedom Rangers do take a little longer to grow out than do the Jumbo Cornish X. However, they will grow out to harvest weight a good bit faster than Rocks or other heavy weight layers. That of course means a higher food bill for each chicken you have for the freezer. I think it is best to use Rocks etc for layers and then when they are a couple of years and their laying ability is in decline harvest them and make chicken stew in the slow cooker.

10. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:I got my white rock from Mt Healthy and she is a whole lot smaller then my buffs for Showing and about the same size as the comets that are with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by