Freedom Rangers, what is the cross???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shzzzam, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Shzzzam

Shzzzam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    I'm curious to know if anyone knows the chickens used to make a Freedom Ranger meat bird. I bought some earlier in the year and raised them for meat. I also have a mixed variety of hens and roos and hatched a bunch of eggs from them. I can now see that I definitely have the combination to make a Freedom Ranger but not sure what it is due to the variety I have. If you know the formula, please help! Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Similar to many, many specialty birds, like the super laying Red Sex Links, the genetics corporations keep their "formulas" pretty close to the vest. They have a lot of research dollars in that formula.

For interesting reading, just google ISA, Hendrix, DeKalb, Bovan etc poultry genetics.

3. Shzzzam

Shzzzam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    I understand that but I think I have the combination within the flock I have. Do you have any suggestions on what they could be from? I'm told that the Freedom Rangers come from French stock which leads me to believe that Marans are most likely a part of it, especially since I have some of them (roosters, Golden Cuckoo Marans and Black Copper Marans) in my flock that has created birds that look identical to my Freedom Rangers I bought. I'm just trying to figure out which hen they may have come from? I have RIR/Ameracauna mix, Delawares, Black Australorps, Ameracaunas, Cuckoo Marans, Welsummers (although I don't think the hen could be either of the Marans or Welsummers due to the lack of chocolate eggs that hatched).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by