Freedom Rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by homesteader5, Jan 29, 2011.

1. homesteader5

homesteader5 New Egg

Mar 11, 2008
    Versailles, MO
    I am thinking about getting some fredom rangers so was wondering what others experiences have been with them both pro and com and where did ya buy yours? Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Only J&M Hatchery has them; they are patented.

3. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Here is a great thread about Freedom Rangers https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=318364&p=1 . Several people on BYC have raised Rangers.

We have never raised Cornish X so can't personally compare, but we were very happy with our first batch of Rangers last year and plan to raise more this year. They foraged well and were enjoyable birds. We processed at 10 and 13 weeks with dressed weights of 3.5#-6.5#. Have heard of even larger weights from others.

On the possible con side they do eat voraciously for a while (someone called ours piranhas) and they are champion poopers as they process it all. But they use that food to grow very meaty and tasty.

We bought ours from JM Hatchery. The owners have turned FR sales over to their son-in-law Kendall Fox, so this year you can order FR chicks directly from http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com . Rangers are also available through some other hatcheries that drop ship from Freedom Ranger Hatchery. They may be called colored broilers or another similar name but the hatchery can tell you if they are Freedom Rangers.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  4. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Mrs. Mucket :

On the possible con side they do eat voraciously for a while (someone called ours piranhas) and they are champion poopers as they process it all. But they use that food to grow very meaty and tasty.

Not as voracious as the Cornish Cross and thus not as much poop either.​

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I got mine from JM Hatchery, ordered 50, they came way to late, 9 dead in the box, many more weak ones died later, ended up with 17 ready to butcher. thankfully when I called Joel Martin(owner) he refunded me for the dead chicks but I still lost lots of $s from the other weak ones that died later. I'm guessing they must have hatched from pullet eggs and been shipped to late. on the other hand, at the same time I had ordered 50 cornish cross from Welp Hatchery and all but 3 made it to butchering.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I got an order of about 175 last year -- can't remember the exact amount -- that was shared between five. There were no losses in transport to my place and as far as I know every one of them made it to their next destination.

7. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    We had 26 successfully arrive on the west coast. Hatched on a Wednesday, arrived on Friday morning. All were healthy chicks.

8. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I'm planning my first go at Freedom Rangers this spring. What are the most I should try in a 6'x8' moveable hoop coop with daily free ranging?

9. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Schroeder--We grew out 25 FR in a 4'x8' tractor. When they were small they stayed in the tractor and we moved it. When they got crowded, we put the tractor inside a fenced area and they used it for a shelter. At night they would all crowd in there on the ground--they seemed to like sleeping in a huddle. During the day they'd go in and out. It worked out great.

10. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    As one of the folks who shared with TimG, I was more than happy with my birds (two just came out of the oven as I write!). They grow fast, act like chickens, are reasonably personable, and range well. I kept mine in a large-ish hoop tractor, but this year I intend to make (that is, help DH to make) a more Salatin shaped tractor, and add the electric-fence yard.

My 2 cents.

Nan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by