1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freeloader?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emptynesters970, Dec 10, 2015.

1. emptynesters970

emptynesters970 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    NOCO
    Our ladies are 8 months old. Our BRs were the first to lay at around 22 weeks. Our EE and OE followed a few weeks later. We still have one EE is has not laid a single egg and if you look at her body, she just looks different. No crowing but she is the bossy one. Any thoughts?

2. ArcticMermaid

ArcticMermaid Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    North Carolina
    I know i have 2 roos that are 6 months old and neither one of them crows the 3rd one does. I also have have several hens who haven't started laying yet even though they have reddened wattles and combs. They can be quite bossy one will even attack the roos

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Could you post a photo?

Ct

4. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    x2

5. emptynesters970

Jun 11, 2015
    NOCO
    Here she is on the left
    [​IMG]

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    That is definitely a hen. Is there anywhere where she may be hiding eggs?

7. PlanterJeff

PlanterJeff Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    She could just be a late bloomer too. Some EE take up to 9+ Months. Has her pea comb started to redden yet?

8. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    One of my EE didn't start laying until she was around 7 months. I thought she'd never lay an egg after the trauma she went through then one day I was feeding here and there was a pretty blue egg in her condo. ( Yes I said condo. She has her own condo inside the coop. She gets picked on because she's so passive and won't fight back.)

9. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    She's definitely a hen. My EE hen hid her eggs for the first several weeks, until I figured out what she was doing and locked her in. Now, she lays in the nest, even though she is allow to free range.

She may also be a late maturing hen. Winter months can slow down egg production sometimes.

10. emptynesters970

Jun 11, 2015
    NOCO

Thanks for all of the replies. There are no eggs in the run and we know all other layers by egg color. Her comb has been red for a few months I guess we will have to wait. It would be easier if she had a nice personality! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by