Freeloaders not laying eggs

Cynthia75

Chirping
Mar 2, 2019
Texas
I have 12 hens, all of egg laying age, and only 2 of them are providing eggs. One of them is molting so I know she won't lay but the other 9 should be laying, at least every now and then....but nothing! The are on good food with plenty of calcium, they are drinking and eating well, they don't have mites, they are all very healthy, they get fresh veggies and fruit, mealworms and oats as a treat. Five of my eight 10 month old hens have never actually laid an egg. Not a single one.

Thoughts or advice?

They might be laying somewhere other than their boxes...and/or they may have quit because the days are getting shorter.

I advise you to supplement light for a few hours per day in their coop for the winter, and lock them in for a few days to encourage laying inside.

Is it a shorter light season for where you are right now?

Chickens taken a break laying when the days get shorter.

I have 30 pullets and hens... none are laying due to the light cycle. I do not use supplemental lighting

They might be laying somewhere other than their boxes...and/or they may have quit because the days are getting shorter.

I advise you to supplement light for a few hours per day in their coop for the winter, and lock them in for a few days to encourage laying inside.

I know they aren't laying outside because they only have access to their coop and run unless I let them out to free range when I am with them. I will try adding some supplemental light and see if that helps. Thanks!

Is it a shorter light season for where you are right now?

Chickens taken a break laying when the days get shorter.

I have 30 pullets and hens... none are laying due to the light cycle. I do not use supplemental lighting
Our days are a little shorter. Some of them have never laid and I am wanting them to pull their weight :D

Back
Top Bottom