1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

freeloaders

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by neuchicontheblock, Oct 23, 2009.

1. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    I have had my Americauna pullets now for 6-8 weeks and they produced eggs in the cage on the way home but not a blessed thing since then. Fruit, yogurt, clean coop, free ranging. I want their life. I don't really mind since I enjoy them, but it would be nice to see an effort from them out of gratitude!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think the breed must be slow.

I have 5 Wheaten/Blue Wheaten pullets, 3 of them hatched in February.

Total eggs from them so far: two... from the same pullet...

Jennie:

[​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  4. neuchicontheblock

May 23, 2009
    oh ye...hence the freeloader tag. Grain, yogurt, veggies, fruit. You name it, they can get it. The little snots.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] so sorry.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I guess what I was asking is whether you give them a formulated chicken feed or not? Otherwise, you're guessing about the nutritional sufficiency of the diet they're getting for laying.

7. neuchicontheblock

May 23, 2009
    yes, they get a layer grade food from Blue Seal

8. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Some people on here say to keep the treats to a minimum, as they inhibit/delay laying. I cut back on the amount of extras mine were getting, and after 26 weeks, they just started laying.

Some feel that fruit (specifically apples and tomatoes) are the culprit. My gut feeling is that chickens are omnivores and benefit from a wide variety of foods, but that's just what I've read.

Are yours getting 14 hours of light? The shorter days may be discouraging them from getting going again. Maybe some supplemental lighting? Just an idea.... Good luck!

9. fatboys farm

fatboys farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    Franklin GA
    i go to the chick auction alot @ chickens lay eggs in the pens where it is crowded, noisy @ all day without food or water. i think a hen will just lay when she is ready. good post though i have 25 laying @ 25 more that are not. maybe they are conserving till they see what the obama administration is going to do.

10. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Don't be surprised If one day soon you run across their "stash".
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by