Freeloaders...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sanchoman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    I have 2 RIR's that are now on their 19th week.

How much longer before they start laying?

2. skovats

skovats Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    mine were early but most are 20-25 weeks good luck

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My RIR started laying at 24 weeks.

4. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Mine were 24 weeks,had 26 so it took awile till they all were laying, and boy do they lay lol...

5. sanchoman

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    thanks for the words! I'm excited as it feels like forever!

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I also have freeloaders....20 weeks and six days with no eggs yet. Although it is a tough time of year to have them start laying. I search for that first egg and I am sure it will soon be here. Then I'll be like a little kid at Christmas time!!![​IMG]

7. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

The light of day right now is still short. But each day the sun is up longer and longer until the summer soltice. I have a New Hampshire that started at 19 weeks. but the rest were a month behind. These chickens were hatched on april 8 2009. That would be a interesting study to see if the time of year a chicken hatches effects how early or late they start laying.

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:I agree....because I swear it does! Chicks hatched from April - July end up reaching 20 weeks during Sept-Dec when the days are getting shorter approaching the Winter soltice. It always seems to slow them down coming into lay. My Fall & Winter hatchlings are usually laying at 18-22 weeks. But late Spring and Summer hatchlings take 3-4 weeks longer, same breeds. There are also comments on here from some folks who've waited until Spring for pullets to lay that had reached POL age in Fall. A light helps some.

9. sanchoman

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    would it help to turn a light on until say 10 pm when i go to bed and turn it on at 6 am when i wake up? That would give them an "Extra" 5 hours of light per day...

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Just be patient. It is wintertime after all. I would only add 2 hrs light because it is natural for them to have shorter days now. They can vary quite a bit. My 1st RIR started at 18-19 weeks, but not all of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by