freerange

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Heifer, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Heifer

Heifer New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Hi im new [​IMG]

We live on 5acres of paddocks (horses/orchard/trees) in the hills of Perth, WA... We have a good chicken yard with a coop that was a bird avery so is completely enclosed and provides shelter from the elements and roosting/nesting areas, surrounded by 6' chicken wire fencing (but not fox proof). Previously others had chickens in this enclosure, and let them out freerange during the day (locked them in the cage at night).

My question is... Tomorrow i plan to buy about 4 chickens (probably isa browns) which have been free ranging on a large property nearby. What is the best way to introduce them to the new location and how do i train them to go back in the cage at night?

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but i have only ever kept chickens in an enclosed run (at my parents place) and i am worried about losing new chooks!

2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Do you already have chickens? If so, you might want to keep the new birds separate to make sure they are healthy. Otherwise if they are your first chickens, keep them in the enclosed coop and run for at least a couple weeks to a month before you free range them if that's what you are planning. They will learn that the new coop is their home and go back to it on their own once they have been there awhile.

Oh and [​IMG]

Nancy

3. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Quote:Hello & [​IMG]
    Not a silly question at all! I think you should keep them penned up for a week or so. That way they know that your their meal ticket and the coop is there new home. Good Luck!!

4. Heifer

Heifer New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    yeh dont have any chickens yet [​IMG]

Thanks for the info [​IMG] anything else i need to do to prepare for my new arrivals?

And do you prefer to feed wheat or pellets? I also have hay they can scratch around in, and of course vegetable peels.

5. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    [​IMG]

6. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Quote:What age of chickens do you plan on getting? I feed mine a Layer crumbles and throw a handful of scratch out for them too. Make sure to post pictures. We all love to see photos of everyones chickens!! Here is a URL to a treat chart for your chickens. Hope this helps you out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

7. Heifer

Heifer New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    thanks very informative [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by