Freerangeing roos attacked by dogs- update-they are healing

Chicken Chat

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Illinois
Last Sunday, June 19th, my freerangeing roos were attacked by stray dogs. One died just after I found him, two of them must have been drug off, I can't find their bodies anywhere. Two survived but got chewed on pretty good before I was able to run outside and stop it. They were all silkies. I cleaned their wounds as best I could and dumped perioxide on them ( I know not to use it more than the one time) and squeezed neosporin without pain into the punctures and wounds. I gave them 4 days worth of injectable pen g and have been smelling the wounds everyday to check for infection. Twice a day I clean the wounds with diluted iodine and this morning I started putting bag balm on the smaller scrapes and cuts but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to put it on the big gashes. Here is a picture of the worst one, Sherman. He doesn't have much feathers left.
37116_new_002.jpg

Is it ok to put bag balm in his big gashes? He has another big one under a wing. Also both of them will take water with vitamin drops in it if I offer it under their beaks but they have no energy to search for it. I am also having to hand feed them by teaspoon with baby parrot raising poridge several times a day because they won't eat but a little bit at a time. Sherman feels like he has a temperature, he's hot so I make sure he drinks a lot, but he has run the max days of pen g. The wounds smell ok so I don't think they are infected. He is standing up and walking around but he usually has his head on the ground. He got chewed on around the neck so I imagine it is sore. The other roo, Max, just started getting up on his legs yesterday. They are on pallets on the floor in my bathroom at the moment. Both are pooping and they are sleeping a lot. I have to wake them up in between bites of food. I haven't had any this wounded before, I am getting worried that it is almost a week now and not much improvement. Anyone else with similar experience? How long until they could go back to regular food? Anything else I should be doing? Oh, I am mixing yogurt into their poridge.

Last edited:
Yikes ... new product called Vetericyn comes in spray form and is one ofthe best products to use on wounds like the above! Bag balm is good for later as it heals more !! So sorry I went thru this but twas coyotes not dogs !!

Quote:
I haven't heard of this product yet but I did a search and it sounds like it would be a good product to have around for all my animals. I will see if I can find it at my farm store. Thanks for the suggestion!

I feel so bad for your little guys. Make sure you report the stray dogs to animal control and possibly the Game Commission. Those kinds of dogs are not just dangerous to livestock but pets and wildlife too. Keep us posted on how they are doing.

What a catastrophe. I guess I would probably use scarlet oil and oral antibiotics but I'm by no means an expert. Luckily, I have some tetracyclin and baytril laying around in addition to whatever I can get from the farm supply.

Quote:
I haven't heard of this product yet but I did a search and it sounds like it would be a good product to have around for all my animals. I will see if I can find it at my farm store. Thanks for the suggestion!

as mammabear said TSC carry s it so do most feed stores just look for a bottle of beautiful blue colored stuff.
tongue.png

I went to the Tractor Supply in the next town, they only had the Vetericyn for pink eye and the eye ointment, no wound spray.
barnie.gif
I did find some poultry wound spray from a different company, the last bottle they had, so I went ahead and bought it. I ordered the wound spray from Vetericyn online yesterday so at least it is on the way. I figure I can use the other spray until it arrives, better than nothing. Sherman, the white one in the picture, still feels a bit hot but he is eating a bit better today. Actually tried big bite fulls of poridge which is better than the little he has been slurping. Max, my other boy, is moving around more. His right leg seems weaker than the other one and he doesn't walk forward, only backwards until his butt is up against something, then he lays down. Found him behind my toilet this morning. I have to go to work in a bit, but I will try and get some pics of them and post tomorrow.

It makes me so angry that people don't keep their animals in their own yard, my boys never leave the property. That's why I don't let the hens free range anymore. I lost 5 hens to a scotty dog that wandered into the yard several years ago when I was allowing them to freerange when I was home.

It's been 2 1/2 weeks and the boys are slowly healing. I have them on chick starter for the higher protein content and also giving hard boiled eggs. Their feathers are just starting to come back in, so that is good, esp. for Sherman, my white one that is almost bald on the back. They started eating really good last week, no more spoon feeding. Max, the brown one, is still having a hard time walking, one of his legs is still weak but he is walking a few steps without falling over, most of the time. This weekend they started crowing, so they must be feeling better:D That Vetericyn is great! I would highly recommend it. All their smaller cuts and punctures have completely healed, scabbed and fell off. Only the big wound on each of them remains but that is getting smaller too.

Some update pics:
I didn't have a very good picture of Max the first time, it was blurry so I didn't post it. This is him now, the scabs fell off around the wound and it's starting to close. Scabbed up on the inside. I just put some triple antibiotic on it to soften it up a bit. Sorry about the poop smear on the tub, he just did that before I took the picture.
hide.gif

37116_roo_damage_003.jpg

This is Sherman now. The scab is starting to come off around the edges. I just put triple antibiotic on it as well so it looks a bit gooey. It may not show in the photo but the wound is a lot better. The scab is starting to raise and recede a little each day. His neck is still "s" shaped so he is also getting vit E by mouth and neck massages. I'm hoping that works itself out, all the neck wounds have healed. It doesn't seem to bother him when he eats and drinks, so that's good.
37116_roo_damage_002.jpg

Anyone else have experience with a neck injury like this? Does it eventually straighten back up. He is crowing, he straightens it up a bit when he does but it's not all the way.

OMG way to go !!! I know the product is a great one but without a dedicated "mom" it would not work. So happy for the boys and you. Love It !!!!
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom