Freeze dried mealworms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chris10sen, Jul 18, 2010.

1. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    Do chickies like freeze dried mealworms as much as live ones? They seem to be much cheaper.

Lisa

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Mine do, but it's probably not as nutritious.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mine prefer the live ones. They'll eat the freeze-dried ones, but don't rush to get them. The freeze-dried mealworms in the packages are horribly expensive, compared to a container of 500 live mealworms at the feed store.

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    If I were you, I'd simply buy a couple hundred and start a breeding colony. My colony has been going for 2 1/2 years and it's composed of 5000+ mealworms, 3000+ beetles, and an uncountable number of pupae. I mostly use them for my reptiles but my girls love 'em.

5. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:My chicks hated them. Yes, they are much cheaper, but when the chicks don't' like them, they are not that cheap after all. LOL [​IMG]

They would pick up the dried mealworms but drop them right away and want nothing to do with the worms at all after that. I even tried soaking the worms in water to get them moist, but the chicks still hated the worms.

I have 11 chicks (five weeks old today), four breeds and not a one of them liked the dried worms. It was a waste of money for me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by