Freeze dried seafood

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hooligan, Feb 7, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Today I bought some freeze dried anchovies, calamari and shrimp for my new babies coming in April.
    When will this be okay to give them?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    There might be quite a bit of salt in the fish, I would hold off on it until they are threee or four months old. But they will love it once they get it. You will be their best friend forever.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You're giving them to the chickens! Toss them my way!

As long as they are dried, and not salted and dried, they will be fine. But to my salt loving self, I've never found pure dried ones, but that might be just because of where I look![​IMG]

4. RockinCircleC

RockinCircleC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Quote:Have you tried any of the Asian markets like Pal-Do World or Uwajimaya or Ranch Market at the Great Wall Mall in Tukwila (by Ikea)? All kinds of dried fish products there! Probably not cheap, or is that cheep? [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh yeah, I go to ranch 99 all the time... when I have the time, and often stop by pal do on the way back! I'm not that far away from them and I absolutely love Pochi's bubble tea in the 99 market plaza. You gotta go there and try a "Strawberry Taro shake with tapicoa." Best drink ever.

I try not to eat too much of the dried fish because it's often full of preservatives in addition to the salt. I LOVE hot squid! Just don't buy any from China, my mom and all her sisters say even people in china avoid buying made in china products!

My mom got some new year's stuff at 99 last week. It's the year of the rat! (I'm Asian :p)

Back to the topic, just make sure it's salt isn't too high and it would be a great treat for the girls. An idea would be to reconstitute the calmari if it's in long strands, and you can watch the girls run around the brooder like they have a HUGE worm. Make sure to provide grit for digestion if you start these treats up for them.

6. RockinCircleC

RockinCircleC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Quote:I CANNOT wait until I have chickens to try this with!!! Unfortunately I will have to.

This message board is the biggest kick in the pants!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by