1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freeze or chill after butcher?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Motherhenandflock, May 29, 2007.

1. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Those of you that have processed your own birds: what has worked for you? I've heard freeze them right away and I've heard chill them in the fridge then freeze. I've had nice tender meat and I've had tough meat.
    After all the time and money invested I want to finish the job the right way. [​IMG]

2. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Mom used to put the freshly cleaned carcasses in a large dishpan or tub (depending on how many you are cleaning) filled with water and ice, to cool them quickly, then when they were completely cooled out, freeze them.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It's my understanding that they're more tender if you let them rest in the frig overnight, before freezing.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We do 1-2 days of chilling in the fridge before packaging them for the freezer.

Jody

5. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    ooo Thanks. I needed to know this as my hubby enventually wants to do this. The hogs we will take to a butcher.

6. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Yes, thanks so much for your replys. The first time we took some of our birds to be butchered they put them directly into the freezer and they were tough![​IMG]
    I will for sure chill them first in the fridge or ice water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by