Freeze or no freeze turkeys?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by longranger, Oct 30, 2009.

1. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    I have a minor dilemma. 3 Toms are now ready to be culled and I am short on pen space. How much difference in quality is there between a rested frozen bird and the same bird fresh? I could wait the last 4 weeks if need be but the feed is going to be essentially wasted and quarters tight as the christmas birds are still growing like weeds.

2. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    somewhere I read that freezing helps tenderize the meat.... or that it was best to freeze before brining? I soaked a turkey in brine for 3 days before cooking last year... yummmy!
    I look fwd to the rest of the replies!

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I used to help a friend sell turkeys and some people insisted on having fresh turkey. HOwever, I've had frozen turkey and it tasted the same to me (delicious)! I'm not sure it matters, but will be interested to hear as well.

4. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Very little if any difference, There may be a bit of difference in how tender the bird is. But that would be for older birds, say a year or older.

But for most people tenderness is just a perception, the USDA actually has a test you can used for tenderness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by