Freeze proof nipple watering system

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    We're getting ready (as soon as the oppressive heat breaks) to run permanent power & water lines to the barns. I'd LOVE to put in a full nipple water system, but not if I can't freeze proof it. I found this system http://www.bassequipment.com/Waterers/Freez-X,+Thermocube+/default.aspx but it's not going to be anywhere near big enough for us~LOL We usually have mild winters, but last year we had a week of 0-15 degree temps and about 2 straight months where the snow never melted. I don't want to be stuck with ice and a flood in frigid weather.

Any ideas or photos, photos would be awesome! Thanks so much in advance! [​IMG]

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    No worries...we get below 0 for a few days at a time at night. And this past winter we had a few weeks of not getting above freezing during the day. I have my nipples set up on a 5 gallon bucket, hung from a hook on the outside of the shed. I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest aquarium heater they had, mounted it in the bottom of the bucket (it MUST be covered with water at all times or it could become a fire hazard) and the water was liquid, even warm, all winter long. I think I will use a thermocube this winter since I don't need to be warming water to 70+ degrees!

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    That sounds like an awesome plan! Thanks so much! I don't mind invividual waterers, since I don't really want chicken water going back by accident to quail, so that would work out better [​IMG]

4. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Quote:What is a thermocube?

5. dlecolst

dlecolst Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    Thermo Cube is an electrical device (plug adapter) that turns on the power automatically according to the outside temperature. http://www.thermocube.com/
    You can find them on ebay, however make sure you buy the correct one because different models power on based on different temperatures.

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Well, if this isn't a nifty little gadget! And...can you believe it:eek:...AFFORDABLE! [​IMG] Will definitely have to get one of these for this winter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by