Freeze proof water solution for small coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Dec 12, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We currently have a small heated pet bowl in for our girls. Works well, however we have to fill it a couple times a day. This is a problem due to we will be away for a few days in the coming weeks. All i have been able to find are a 3 gallon heated one at the feed store and it's huge! We only have 5 girls and normally we use a 1 gallon waterier. Is there a source for a one gallon heated? Or a way we can keep the one gallon waterier we have from freezing. Temps will be anywhere from negatives to 30?

Thanks

2. potluck

potluck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    google- Chicken Ken heated water supply - it's a you tube video should work for any size waterer - wish I'd seen it before I made the cookie tin heater

3. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, I just worry that it could be a fire hazard?

4. Quote:as above in the cinder block. except I would use a plug in thermo-cube to plug it in. on at 32 off at 36...something like that. No waste of electric and never have to worry about being home to turn it on / off

5. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Thanks, this helps a lot!

6. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I was looking through a few videos on Youtube and I think NYChicknBob had the best (in my opinion) design. No fire hazard really. Just a small fountain pump in a 5 gallon bucket with a hose running up to the waterer and the water overflows back down into the bucket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by