1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freezed Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naked_heels, Dec 12, 2009.

1. naked_heels

naked_heels Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    This week we had a snow torm and the weather has drop to below 0 degree. I have coop insulated and the water not frozed at all, I just wonder if the eggs will hatch or not if the hen has not sit on it. Any input would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Frozen eggs will not hatch.

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    frozen eggs won't hatch, and even eggs that get too cold without freezing are unlikely to hatch. you can still thaw them out and eat them though.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Really cold eggs will hatch. I hatched some last winter when it was in the negatives F in my coop and they'd sat for probably 12hours. If any part of them starts to freeze though the cells will be too damaged to hatch. It's hard to tell if they've started to freeze or not until they are solidly frozen and cracking. You take a big gamble setting really cold eggs even if you collect frequently but if you have time to waste and leave the incubator running it can be possible to get chicks. Make sure all eggs come to room temp before putting in the bator.

5. naked_heels

naked_heels Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    Thanks ya'll for all the input, i will collect them today.[​IMG]

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Coops can get below negatives and not freeze out the chickens?

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Coops can get below negatives and not freeze out the chickens?

Right. Chickens are tougher than most people give them credit for. Trust me, I know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by