Freezer bags and Labels

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by zephyrcreek, May 14, 2009.

1. zephyrcreek

zephyrcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Yale, Michigan
    Hi. I will be selling my first meaties this year and am looking for sources of freezer bags and freezer labels. Any suggestions (and reviews) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I'd love to hear some suggestions as well!

3. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    I have a Food Saver which vacuum packs anything. I use the large roll and cut my own bags, seal one end-put a whole chicken in (with the top turned down so as not to get chicken or wetness on it) then seal it, mark with a sharpie pen the year & then toss it in the freezer.
    I sometimes will cut a few chickens in half & freeze or even cut it up and bag the wings, back, & neck together for soup. I have had some pieces in the freezer for 2 (yes two) years & then cooked them. They tasted just as good as the ones frozen for a month or two. No air gets in so no freezer burn.
    You can purchase a Food Saver at Costco, and a lot of different stores or even on-line. One can spend one hundred dollars up to two hundred on one depends on the model. I have one that coast me $125 or so 4 years ago. It is still working great. I Food Saver all my meats for the freezer and all my vegtables, even the ones I get from the store. Unless I know I am going to use them right away.
    I am also going to can some of my meat birds this year just to try it out. Of course I will debone them first, then save all the bones for chicken stock & chicken soup.

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Ditto to the Food Saver suggestion. I bought one several years ago and it's one of the very few appliances that gets used almost daily. In addition to vaccuum sealing meats, fish, chicken, I re-seal cereal packages, chips, etc., to prolong freshness. I also seal the registration for my ATV, my fishing license, anything that I don't want getting wet when I kayak.

Now, if I could only Food Saver bags large enough for small or medium turkeys!

5. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I put a "wanted" ad on freecycle for a food saver, and someone is giving me one! Yay! Now, where can I buy bags, and wondering if bags can be re-used. Such as if I have a bag that I vacuum packed full of chopped carrots for the freezer, can I cut open the edge, take some out, and then re-seal the same bag? I'm so excited!

6. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Quote:Yes you can cut take some out and reseal. I do it all the time. I never reuse bags that I have used for raw meat ever. I have reuse bags that I use for chips, rice, beans, flour, sugar, ect ect but always put the same thing in it that came out lol.
    My family uses ours daily I am on my 2cd unit as I got a "cheap" model the first time and burnt it out lol.

7. minifarmer

minifarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    warren county, ohio
    cornerstone-farm.com has shrink bags. These are great! I couldn't believe how professional it made my birds look! They say the bags are good for preventing freezer burn. Great customer service, too. I use their bags for whole chickens and the foodsaver for the people who wanted theirs cut up. As with the others, costco, for the machine and the bags. karla

8. zephyrcreek

zephyrcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Yale, Michigan
    Thanks for all the info. I do have a food saver that I love to use. I did plan on using it for our family birds, but also need ideas for customer birds. I'll check out cornerstone farm.

Thanks

Ellen

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

10. allen1971

allen1971 New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    I am using foodsaver V2840 Advanced Design..... I have both the bags on the roll and the precut bags...I can make food bags of various sizes depending on what i wish to store. This would mean there is no wastage of plastic as i have complete control over the bag size. Just unroll and cut the bag depending on the size i need and seal it. we are made using FDA approved plastic for storing food.The bags are durable and long lasting, as they are made from fine quality plastic. There are several brands of rolls available in the market. i must try and buy only FDA approved rolls then i can be free from worrying about any health issue when i store in them.Some of the rolls can also be re-used. Food rolls are so effective in storing food that i do not have to frequent the market for ir supplies. i can store them well in bags. This way i need not visit the market every three-four days for ir stocks. This saves a lot of ir time and efforts. for more information about u can use below link...

http://www.foodsaverblog.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by