freezer bags

My sister has a neat system if you don't want BIG freezer bags full of veggies or fruits. she saves her half gallon milk containers (the waxed sq. ones) and puts the food to be frozen in baggies, twists ties and puts them in the milk carton. she does this with all the produce while they are still warm or soft and packs them in. Freezes them and then pulls out what she needs. It keeps it so neat in the freezer and everything seems to freeze just fine being pushed in there together! I like to put mine in a good quality freezer bag (check the $1 stores, sometimes you can actually get brand names in there) and lay them flat, let them freeze separately and them stack them. That works really well for me. We need to get a canning tips thread started on here!!!

Quote:
I am sorry, I realized that after I re-read it, and of course I had already sent it!!! But, I also have known people who put their chickens in the freezer baggies and put them in the wax milk cartons, because they stack so well!

I have a FoodSaver so I vaccuum seal my processed birds. The sealer is one of the very few appliances that stays out on my countertop at all times.... I use it so often.

As we'll be raising turkeys this year I'll be looking for a system for much larger birds!

We used to use the zip locks bags for smaller cuts and freezer paper/ streach wrap for bigger ones.

We just got a vacume sealer and are very pleased with it so far. It's first use was to bag about 60 pounds of pork chops (one local store had a great sale!) The smaller bags take up less room in the freezer and stack better. The downside the bags are more expensive and can't be reused like zip locks, the bagging process is slower. So far the trade off is worth it for the extra freshness and saving freezer space.

Steve in IN

I love my food saver! and I re-use my food saver bags... wash them in the dishwasher. as long as there is no hole in them I re-use them over and over. kinda need to be careful throwing around frozen chicken in the freezer so they don't get a hole.

Back
Top Bottom