Freezer Camp is In Session! And a BIG THANK YOU

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tsarge, Jun 27, 2010.

1. tsarge

tsarge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Northern VT
    Yesterday was the day my 24 CX went to Freezer Camp. They were processed and vacuum sealed and are resting in the fridge right now, headed for the freezer later tonight. One has been set aside for the smoker this afternoon, beer can chicken. This was my first batch of chickens and I'll certainly do more! I started with 25, and only lost one at 4 weeks due to an accident at feeding time. Below are the weights of my birds which were processed at 7 weeks. Overall I am very happy with the results.

I want to thank all those on BYC who helped and guided me along the way. This is an excellent resource. Building my automatic waterer (bucket, toilet valve setup), and my automatic trough feeder made raising this batch a breeze. Thanks to those who contribute these designs so that others can benefit.

Bird weight in lbs:

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    impressive!!! nice work! [​IMG]

3. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    tsarge, If you don't mind telling us, where did you get your Cornish X and were they straight run? Looks like they were from the size range but just want to make sure. Thanks and great job![​IMG]

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Cool!

5. tsarge

Mar 12, 2010
    Northern VT
    Quote:Yes, there were straight run. I bought 25 from my local Agway under the name White Cornish Giants. I only lost the one due to an accident where it was hit in the head with a feeder [​IMG]

I went in together with my cousin on processing and he set the date. So I got 7 weeks and he got 8 weeks. Next year, I think I'll process myself and let them go a full 8 weeks.

BTW...my first meal was AWESOME!!! [​IMG] Beer can chicken, on the smoker for 3.5 hrs. It was a 5lb bird and it fed my family of 4 for 3 meals! DW was so impressed with the flavor and quality she gave the green light for a double batch next year!

6. ScorpChix

ScorpChix New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    The Other Vancouver (WA)
    Awesome results Tsarg! Mind if you give a few more details of how you raised your birds?

Did you free-range them or just keep them in a coop?
    How much space did you need for 25?

Thanks
    Donna

7. tsarge

Mar 12, 2010
    Northern VT
    Quote:This was my first time raising chickens. I started them in a plywood brooder, 4'x6'x2' with a center divider, so they were in a 4'x3' for the first week. Then they got to use the entire 4'x6' area for the next 2 weeks. At 3 weeks old, they went outside to a 6'x8' pen attached to my garden shed. I have quite a few predators and I am not at home during the day so I could not free range them. I have included pics of both the brooder and the pen.

I fed medicated chick starter for the first week, then Agway brand medicated broiler maker, 21% for the remainder of time. In my pen I put an automatic watering bucket that I built using plans found on BYC, and I built a self feeding trough feeder out of 7.5' of vinyl rain gutter. I checked feed once per day and made sure the water was functioning. Very easy. I bed them on pine shavings which I top dressed every few days to keep them clean and keep the smell down. They seemed like fairly happy chickens.

Brooder:
    [​IMG]

Outside Pen:
    [​IMG]

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks for posting this great info. I only have one question. It sounds like you are just letting them rest in the fridge for 24 hours; is that enough time? I think Ive always read they need to rest at least 48 hours, but I could be wrong.

Great job....will you do it again?

9. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    Wow . I just processed 5 of my 23 birds Due to weather and time , mine are 7 weeks also and I got [email protected] 4 lb and 3 @ around 3lb 8 oz after it was all said and done , is this good?
    Next week I will finish the rest , I have more time then they will be 8 weeks , Why am I reading that people wait til 10 or 13 weeks Am I doing them too early ? I don't have too much time due to A vacation coming up august 1 So I don't really want to be waiting around runing the risk of them not done , and The ones I did today Were pretty Big average I guess , also are we allowed to post processing photos ? I don't want to offend anyone is there a nother thread for that ?

10. tsarge

Mar 12, 2010
    Northern VT
    Quote:I did let them rest for 24hrs before putting them in the freezer. I ate one at that time and it was excellent! Very tender and juicy. I believe they will also get some "rest time" when they thaw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by