freezer camp regrets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Jul 10, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never killed any of my many roos I have had. Over the past 9 months I have rehomed 9 roosters but I still had 9. Today I sent 3 to the neighbor for them to eat. I'm feeling bad about it.
    [​IMG]
    Speedy - he had started to try and pick fights with me which was ok but the last couple days he would suddenly charge up behind me and he has very sharp spurs. But he talked so nice and the girls loved him. I will really miss him.
    [​IMG]
    Puff - is one of our own, out head roo is his papa, but the girls don't like him, he's rough with them and he started the whole drop wing shuffle with me. He was so cute and sweet before.
    [​IMG]
    This is Smoke - the runt of the hatch, thought he was a she till this week. Caught 'her' mounting another hen and then noticed the tail and hackle feathers that really didn't look hen like anymore. 'She" has always had problems breathing - I think his nostrils are not large enough - anyway I would have kept a runty hen but there is no point to a runty roo.

Anyway just venting because as much as I know it needed to happen I really wished it didn't have to.

2. You did the right thing. 9 roos is an awful lot of testosterone. If they are on the outs with the flock it is a good idea to help the others out.

3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I hate that we can't keep alllll the roosters....
    I've rehomed some of mine...5 total...I have 2 now....but I always wonder if I actually found good people who would treat them well...that's always what I was looking for.
    I'm sure it's better to not know...
    You gotta do what you gotta do though.
    At least you won't have to wonder. That is a good thing...in a way.

4. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    So sorry you're sad, it's hard when you get attached to them.[​IMG]

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Next time, don't name them and keep reminding yourself that you can't keep them all. That's what I have to do. It seems cold, but it's the easiest way.

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Awww, bless your tender heart! At least they lived longer & better than many chickens that are eaten in this world.

7. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    Quote:What is Puff crossed with?? My EE roo looks just like him. [​IMG] Mine is quite aggressive but only sometimes, and I'm thinking about replacing him.

8. R_Chickens

R_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    'Responsibility' is doing what you *should* do, even if you don't *want* to. [​IMG]

It's not just your responsibility to yourself, it's your responsibility to your flock. Managing them to ensure their health, happiness, and success is not always easy.

I believe young people who grow up on/around farms are better adjusted and have a core understanding of the cycle of life.

That's one of the reasons I chose to get my 10yr DD started with her first flock. Some hard lessons are surely on the way, but it's better to learn it from and with her family than to be at the mercy of the rest of the world later because we didn't teach her.

'Therapeutic Chickens 101' [​IMG]

- JC

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:[​IMG] well said! Sorry for your Roos, but happy for your hens [​IMG]

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want to keep a rooster that has become aggressive, then you need to convince him you are Alpha and he is Beta. This can be very effective if you start early. Too late and he is stew meat for sure.

You must intimidate him like another rooster would. Follow him around at a speed walk for 5-10 minutes. (Think how you would feel if a black SUV did that while you tried to evade it). After a while, just a few seconds of threat walk will do the trick. Also do not let him eat first. Do not let him mount the hens in your presence.

For more details, see my Handling Rooster Aggression page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by