Freezer Camp Survivors...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenMamma, Dec 10, 2009.

1. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    I decided that I didn't have enough time to take care of my out of hand flock so everyone went to freezer camp before thanksgiving. About the same time my neighbor decided to disband her flock as well. So, for the last couple of weeks there have been two survivor chickens roaming the backyards. One is a California gray and the other is a BO. About a week and a half ago the BO disappeared and just the CG has been running around. In anticipation of the bad weather I opened up my coop, since my neighbor recently dis assembled hers, so the the CG would have somewhere warm to sleep. Yesterday morning I was in the back yard when I spotted movement in my woodpile. Low and behold it was the buff. I pulled her out to put in the coop and discovered eleven eggs! Poor girl has been tucked into the woodpile for weeks and no one knew it! I set her up in a box in the coop and candled the eggs. They are well and about 13-16 days along. When I went out this morning and looked at the wood pile it was covered in snow, even her little hidey hole. Wind chills are well below zero outside. I am glad I found her when I did.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I recently rescued a chicken who was wandering my backyard, and haven't regretted it for a moment! Sounds as if these two were meant to be yours. And soon you will have a whole new flock as well. It's sad to see a pet such as this wandering around outdoors with nowhere to go, when you know what might be lurking.. Good luck with your new flock!

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow..surviving against all odds. Well I hope you are going to keep them both. They deserve a good life after all that. I too am glad you found her when you did. How are they going? And did the other girls go into the coop as well? Post pics of them..I am intrigued. Glad you are keeping them. It makes me sad to think any animal suffers in any way.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree, they sound like keepers! [​IMG] Definitely survivors and the babies should be hardy, too! Congrats on the neat find!

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by