Freezer jam

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chickfever, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I just made my second batch ever about 10 minutes ago. I made strawberry the first time, peach this time. I hope it turns out okay. DH would tell me it was great even if it tasted like crap [​IMG]. Anyone else do freezer jams and jellies?

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't...everything I make tastes like poop! [​IMG] But my grandmother makes us fig jam...and my DH LOVES Mayhaul jelly!

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I'm not fond of freezer jam.... probably because I don't have a lot of freezer space [​IMG]

So I can our jams. So far this year, I've made strawberry, blueberry and plum. Next week is peaches.

I also can the plain fruits.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yeah-I can too. I have relatives who do freezer jam, but I just prefer my jam in the cellar. No freezer space!

5. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I'd love to just can mine but I can't use a canner on my stove. I have a glass top and it won't keep the pressure up on the canner. Two things I made sure my home had were a glass top stove and a sliding door.....I HATE them both [​IMG].

I don't have the freezer space either but dh loves freezer jam so he eats it like crazy when it is here.

6. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Canning jam is sooo simple and it's the best quick gift for any occasion. And best of all..no freezer space.

7. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    That's what I'd like to do if I can talk someone into canning it for me [​IMG]. Wonder if there is a canner out there that will work on this crazy stovetop?

8. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I can't can on my stove either, so everything goes in the freezer (we have an upright in the garage). I make freezer jellies too, the last batch was raspberry. They come out a little runnier than canned, requiring a spoon rather than a knife, but that makes it easier to use as ice cream toppings or as a syrup for pancakes and waffles! [​IMG]

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:I have a glass top, and had about 4 gallons on spaghetti sauce cooking and canning on it last year. I can lots every year on mine and have no trouble. I read about this problem in another thread, but I've never had an issue with it.
    I would buy an electric stove and can outside if I had too-it is a staple for our family.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've made canned and freezer jam. When it comes to strawberry jam, we just love it made as freezer jam! The flavor is so bright and fresh, compared to canned. I think some types of jam hold up to canning better and some are improved by cooking. For us, strawberry jam is worth the freezer space! Now I want some and we're out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by