Freezer question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momofpets, Aug 21, 2011.

1. momofpets

momofpets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I found on Craiglist a 24 cubic foot chest freezer. Would that be too big of a size? It's just me and my 5 German Shepherds. But at least once a month, I throw a big family dinner and there are 8 of us humans. Also they are wanting $300.00 The freezer is 4 years old. Is that a good price? I had originally thought of getting a 15 cubic foot chest freezer. My meaties are going to be delivered in a week. I have 16 of them coming. I was planning on purchasing 1/4 of a steer and between my cornish crosses and ducks I am planning on raising, I need a freezer. Thanks!

2. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    There's almost no way to tell unless you have time a "Kill-a-watt" meter but factor in how much electricity this thing is going to cost you over a more modest one.

Operating costs are often overlooked.

3. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Quote:24 cubic feet is huge!

If it's you and the dogs, a 9 footer might be small, a 14 footer would be close to about right for your birds and a quarter of beef, with some room to spare.

24 is too big.

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I would expect it to be 6 + ft long, you might want to consider if you have space for it.

5. momofpets

Apr 11, 2011
    would a 14 cubic foot freezer fit 1/2 a steer? My family wants to go in and get half a steer but wants to keep it in my freezer, the one I haven't purchased yet. Thanks!

6. momofpets

Apr 11, 2011
    Quote:But is the price good? I don't want to overpay for a used freezer. Thanks!

7. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:But is the price good? I don't want to overpay for a used freezer. Thanks!

If it's only 4 years old and guaranteed to hold temps, that's a great price. A new one will be between 4 & 6 times that figure.

8. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Yes, that's a great price for sure. I believe the rule is 20# of meat per cubic foot (on average if it's packed nicely).

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You might find that if you have a big freezer, your food supply will expand.

Especially if you do any gardening or raise any of your own meat. I've got 2 freezers full. One is full of people food and the other is full of food for the dogs.

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I just bought one this size this past weekend for $120. I think mine's pretty old but it works well. For the price and the fact that it was close to home it was worth the chance. I'm only going to live here about another year so I'll be reselling it on CL again.
    I'm sure it won't be very efficient, though, compared to a newer one. Especially since I have to put it out on the porch. [​IMG]
    But, I figure that money paid over the next twelve months in extra electricity probably won't be as much as what a newer freezer would have cost and i don't want to haul a big freezer across country.
    I guess I still have a military mindset. If I'm getting ready to move, I don't buy anything I can't live without.[​IMG]
    As far as size, a freezer that is six feet long can hold a full steer and then some room for other stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by