Freezer space for cut-up birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by warmfuzzies, Jan 1, 2010.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I am wanting to order 50 meat birds this spring, but I have a pretty small upright freezer, it is much smaller then my fridge. I also have the small freezer above my fridge. What is the average freezer size needed to hold cut-up birds? I will not be freezing the backs, I will make them into stock.

I am also getting two deer in a couple weeks, so it will be full as it is. [​IMG]

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Ha! You sound like me! I have too much deer in there right now for anything else...but I'll have birds this spring too. I have wondered myself how much room it will take. I have access to other people's freezers though if I need the extra. You might try that if you live near family you could share the space and meat or trade some for fresh produce from the garden. That's what I will be doing [​IMG]

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Thats what we have done before, since we have had deer all the time., BUT the inlaws kicked us out because they have two beefs in there now, and they are out of room.... lucky them! [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I figure with canning alot for soups and stuff we will be able to make it, I just gotta figure out how to can it too [​IMG]

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    When there is a will there is a way... I deboned the breasts, and cut up the legs and thighs and wings, then boiled the rest of the meat off the bones of average weight of 5.02 lb of 16 - 6+ week old Cornish X . I then bagged them into serving size portions for 2 and put them to rest in freezer camp bunk space of 12" w x 17"l x 10"h. Have fun.

6. oldbat

oldbat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Well, Darn; I was hoping somebody else would post with information that would help you out. No such luck, so let's see where we can go.........

I have a Frigidaire upright freezer # LFFU1414DW7. Actually belongs to my son, who I am quite sure purchased it from Lowe's, since they deliver and he doesn't drive something that can be used to pick up something of this size. Unfortunately, I CANNOT find on the door tag, anything telling me how many cubic feet are involved....and don't really want to unload it, pull it out, and see what....if any.....information MIGHT be on the back of it.

Since I raise the birds, butcher them, and he helps pay for feed and eat them, I have the freezer at my house. The INSIDE measurements are 23.5 X 47 X 23.5inches. There are 4 shelves plus a pullout bin at the bottom; area behind the bin is slanted. And 5 door shelves. In this freezer, I have 70 chickens, (and processing invoices to document) mostly roosters of 6 months of age or Older.......Black Marans, Delawares, Buff Cornish, RLW Cornish, Ameraucana, Cuckoo Marans, RI Reds, Buff Orpingtons, etc...all good size, healthy birds.....there is probably room for 5 or 6 more. These birds are all in one piece, shrink wrapped, so birds that are cut up would probably allow 10 - 15 more instead of 5 or 6 more....maybe more.....

Hope this helps you out; it's the best I can come up with. Have fun. oldbat

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Instead of cutting them up.... cut them in half. They stack really well and hold flavor better.

8. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    A rule of thumb is 6-7 cubic feet of freezer space per 200 lbs of meat. A typical refrigerator/freezer has 5-6 cubic feet of freezer space.

50 meaties at 5-6 lbs each would be 250-300 lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by