Freezer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by onaquest55, Sep 4, 2014.

1. onaquest55

onaquest55 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    I am currently raising some chicks for meat and curious how much a 20 cu ft chest freezer will hold? How many whole chickens can squeeze in there? Lol. I am not planning to put anything else in there so would this be the good option for me? I want a freezer large enough to hold about 50 chickens possibly. Also, do you think buying from craigslist is too risky or should I just suck it up and buy a new one? Thanks in advance your opinions!

Marie

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I would think a small chest freezer would hold that many. You can get them new for around $150 if I remember right from Walmart. And you will know it will work unlike ordering a second hand one. I've never been too keen on ordering used stuff off the net but lots of people do. I would be the one to get screwed.

3. onaquest55

onaquest55 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    thanks for the reply! Yeah I have a feeling I would be the one to get duped too! Peace of mind might be worth spending more for a new one.

4. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I bought a cheap one from walmart about 5 years ago just to put my deer meat in. Works great and had no problems. And if it goes out, buy another and make a cajun microwave out of the old one. Ha ha.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by