FREEZING baby CHICKS -day 21 under broody and suddenly -5 (20 degrees)

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
my broody is on 15 eggs and the first one pipped this morning, and hatched around 11 am.
It was 37F. Then the wind warning came into effect and snow started falling- it dropped to 26... now the sun has set and its 20F (its 8 pm) Still incredibly windy. . Im worried as Im sure the rest will hatch overnight and its gonna get really cold.

Should I left her nest box (its a cardbord moving box) and bring it into the garage (47-50 F) ?? I would put her in the trunk and drive it in. I can lay hay and cardboard down into a penned area.

What do you think?

Otherwise she is in the coop whihc is a barn with earthen floor , in a cardboard box with about 4 inches of woodshavings, and some straw around. Not drafty but its gotta be zero in there or less, Im sure.

Please help

Ps. I can also bring her into laundry room, basement, sunroom etc.. which is warmer (maybe 55F)

If she can be moved without disturbing her, might be a good idea. I don't know if brood can be broken at this point, so I'd wait for some more feedback on this. Good luck, hope it goes well!

Back
Top Bottom