Freezing blueberries

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hazelton farms, Jul 14, 2008.

1. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Just had to share my mother's tip to freeze our blueberries. Freeze them single layer on wax paper or foil on cookie sheets before putting them in bags for storage. I used foil and layered them 3 layers high (foil between each layer) last night. I took them out just now and came up with a gallon and a half. Going to pick more soon. They froze great and now are not stuck together because of the way they are frozen.

Any more freezer storage ideas????

Stacy

Edited for clarification

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    That's what I do too-with all berries. This makes me wanna go pick some berries!

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

4. hazelton farms

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    LOL! Awesome pic coffeegirl! LOL!! YUM!

They are good this year, I'll give it that much. I wish I could find some blackberries now!

Stacy

5. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ditto! Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries all put up so far this year. I do them in a single layer at a time so that they'll flash-freeze faster, with fewer ice crystals.

[​IMG]

6. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Also put them up unwashed so they won't get as mushy when you thaw them out.

Blueberries also make great wine. Oh but you said 'freezer' storage ideas. My bad! LOL

7. hazelton farms

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Funny enough, my 15 yr old asked while we were picking yesterday if they made blueberry wine. We don't drink wine, but I'll have to tell her they do (so when she's old enough she can look into that herself LOL!).

Thanks for the pic ninja! That's exactly what I was talkin' about.

Stacy

8. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I wash and dry all of mine before freezing--doesn't seem to have any effect on how they thaw (they're not going to ever be like "fresh" again), as long as the berries are completely dry when they go in the freezer.

We use 90% of ours in smoothies. Using frozen fruit = no ice needed! So your smoothies can be all fruit, not watered down. [​IMG]

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I WANT BLUEBERRIES!! They're $4 per half-pint here. [​IMG]

10. hazelton farms

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    I got 3 quarts yesterday for $4 each, hand picked by someone's little girl raising money for summer.

Then we stopped and picked another 4 quarts. The guy wanted $3.50 a quart, but I was walking to get into the van after paying and mentioned DH was navy (long story) and he gave me back $.50 a quart! I felt badly about it since he was older and a vet himself! But didn't know how to refuse it. [​IMG] So I got good prices. I'm thinking I'll stop there again with all six of us this time and see if we can't just pick the heck outta his bushes and see about putting in a few more gallons.

We've got our own cow that'll be in milk come Feb. and in the meantime we milk three goats. Milk shakes with blueberries sounds AWESOME!! Good idea!

Stacy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by