freezing chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HappyFarmLady, Jun 13, 2011.

1. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    We are gonna butcher our 7 Cornish X on Friday. I think we are going to skin them rather than pluck them. What is the easiest way to freeze them?

2. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I would let them rest in the fridge for a few days and then I would vacu-seal them.

3. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    Where can you buy a vacuum sealer?

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    you can buy cheap ones at the grocery store, down the isle with the ziploc bag

but if you want a good one, any kitchen store, bed bath and beyond, stores like that

good one will run you upwards 100 bucks, but you can get them for 50

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I got mine from QVC. [​IMG]

6. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    For 7 birds a quick and inexpensive solution is to use regular gallon ziploc freezer bags.

To get most of the air out of the bag, leave 1/2 inch of the bag unsealed and dip the bag in the water, except for the top. Seal the top while the bag is under water and you should get good results. The plastic bag pushes tightly against the meat

If you are removing the meat from the bone, freezer paper (double wrapped) works great too.

If you want to vacuum seal the ziploc hand pump sealers work fine.

EDITED:

Also I've read that some people freeze in water or dip the bird in water and freeze it this way bore placing in the bag.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    (After resting in fridge for 48 hrs.) I had good results wrapping in freezer paper, then putting in a ziploc freezer bag, and sucking out all the excess air before closing (poor-man's vacu-seal). [​IMG]

Garage sale season has just started, I'll add the vacu-seal to my wish-list.

8. needler

needler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Athol, Idaho
    If I may ask an additional question, when you're resting the birds prior to freezing do you already have them packed in their ziplock cocoon?

I know it may be a dumb question but I'm coming up on my first venture into fresh chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by