freezing comb caused by humidity

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by centrarchid, Oct 30, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have heard and read high humidity increases likelihood that a chickens comb is to freeze during winter. This does not make since to me nore is it born out by my observations. What am I missing?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    High humidity means excess moisture in the air. Excess moisture settles onto chickens. Anywhere that it lands will tend to freeze. If it freezes on the chickens' feathered backs then it does no harm. If it lands on bare skin then it will cause frostbite. Combs and wattles are bare skin, so excess moisture settling there would cause freezing leading to burning or "frostbite."

Does that help any?

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

My Buff Orpington rooster, "Moose" got frostbite on his wattles last winter where they touched the waterer when he would get a drink. It wasn't from the cold, it was from the combination of that area being WET and cold.

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I have heard Vaseline works. Has anyone tried this? And if you have did it work? I live in Maine and have the same problem. I am going to put in a vent this week to let out the moisture. Hope that helps this year.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Based on my understanding of condensation, as water vapor goes from gas to solid, heat should be transferred to whatever surface the crystals form on and surrounding air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by