Freezing Eggs

riversedgefarms

Chirping
Dec 18, 2016
It's 0 to -1 in our coop and we've been experiencing freezing eggs. We collected some at 10 and then again at 3:30. At 3:30 we had 5 frozen eggs. Any ideas on what we could to do prevent this? We have wood shavings down in the nesting boxes.

Is there other ideas for if we can't? My boyfriend works all day and I'm usually in school so there's not always the option to be here all day

It's 0 to -1 in our coop and we've been experiencing freezing eggs. We collected some at 10 and then again at 3:30. At 3:30 we had 5 frozen eggs. Any ideas on what we could to do prevent this? We have wood shavings down in the nesting boxes.

Get rid of the shavings....they have little insulation properties and they move to one side when the hen is nesting around in the box, leaving the eggs to be delivered on a bare surface at the bottom. Don't use hay for the same reasons...it doesn't form a nice bowl nest and is easily moved to one side during the nesting behavior.

Get yourself some hay, make sure you have a nice, deep lip on your nesting box. Put it in the boxes deeply and pulled up on all sides, stuff it full, then take your hands and make a bowl shape in the middle of that. The chickens will do the rest. The hay stays in place, it forms an insulating bowl around the eggs and they will stay unfrozen until you can collect each evening. I've had eggs laid in the morning of -17 degree days and not collected until that evening and they are fine as frog hair. If I left them in the nests overnight at those temps a few might freeze a little and crack, but not all of them.

If you are using hay in your nest boxes, ensure that it is kept clean and dry. Damp hay can lead to fungal spores and aspergillosis.

Also, watch your hens, if they are eating the hay it can lead to impacted crop issues.

I've never experienced either problem in 40 yrs of using hay in nest boxes, so I'm thinking it's a minimal risk. If a real one at all.

I've never experienced either problem in 40 yrs of using hay in nest boxes, so I'm thinking it's a minimal risk. If a real one at all.

Both are real. I would not have mentioned them otherwise.

I am not saying that it will happen just that it can and something to keep in mind for others going down the 'hay in nest box' path.

Last edited:
I use mulch hay. First cut cost more.

If the egg is not split open from freezing solid it's good to go. Some get frozen in winter but really, how many days are daytime temps that low in a winter? Ten maybe and you lose half the eggs perhaps on those days. It's not a big deal.

I use deep straw in nests and even that's not enough insulation to keep eggs from freezing after a few hours at 0F.
Hens can often keep them warm during peak laying hours in the favorite nests.
Am grateful to be able to gather frequently......
.....cause ain't getting many eggs this time of year and I need them all to pay for feed.

If you have power in your coop you could always go the way @RonP did:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/heated-nesting-boxes-help-stop-frozen-eggs

Back
Top Bottom