Freezing Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heritage Farmstead, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Heritage Farmstead

Heritage Farmstead Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I have an abundancy of eggs and was told that I can freeze them.... does anyone do this? These are not fertilized eggs for hatching, but rather for eating. I have a friend who told me that her mother grew up on a chicken farm and they would freeze their eggs out of the shell and into freezer bags by 2's or 4's etc. to use them for baking and such. What do you do with all your eggs!!? [​IMG]

2. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't see any reason why not. I haven't done it myself.

Bump

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes you can freeze raw eggs out of the shell. You'd probably want to use them in recipes only. The texture changes a bit, so not so good for breakfast eggs like fried etc.

Imp

4. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
  5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    google it. I freeze a dozen or so at a time for we cook breakfast often for a family of 5. Just break the yolk and mix, then add sugar or salt (depending on what it is used for) lable then freeze. You are to use 1 1/2 tsp sugar OR 1/2 tsp of salt per each cup of whole eggs. This keeps them from getting too gummy. I thaw mine out the night before then use a stick blender to beat it good and no one can tell the difference. For baking, I put them in ice cube trays with a pinch of sugar. Depends on what you bake mostly. This will also come in handy when they go into molt. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by