Freezing Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arsnow, Jan 12, 2011.

1. arsnow

arsnow Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Farnsworth, TX
    My hens have just begun to lay, but the temperatures have been pretty low here in Texas so the eggs may be frozen (or at least very well refrigerated) by the time I collect them. Does freezing harm the egg's edibility (is that even a word)? I promptly place all my eggs in the fridge to keep them fresh.

Also, what is the best way to clean an egg? My first one is a little dirty.

Thanks for the help.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know about freezing. I am new at this also. But from what people have said on here the eggs can lay on the counter for awhile and be fine. You don't have to clean the eggs. It washes off something. If you do wash it then use warmer water than what the egg is. I have learned this on here. I know it is not exactly as they say it. But I hope it helps. Good luck

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Up here in the pacific NW it freezes every day in the winter. I have had frozen eggs, not cracked though. We always keep our eggs out on the counter for a couple days before putting them in the fridge. That way if they are froze they will thaw out first. We have had no problems with the eggs they are normal in every way.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Actually frozen eggs will split the shell. Yours is fine.

Honestly, most of the time a frozen cracked egg is OK to eat - as long as they aren't dirty along the crack. Usually the cracked part is on top of the egg, and is found in a clean nest box. I just eat them the next morning after they have thawed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    My eggs freeze if I don't gather them early enough. If they are cracked, we just dispose of them, but if not, we just put them in the fridge and they're fine. What we use to clean the eggs is a little potato or vegetable hand held scrubber. We use warm - but not hot - water and run the egg under the stream of water while scrubbing all the dirt and such off. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by