Freezing eggs??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pmsnrn, Jun 11, 2011.

1. pmsnrn

pmsnrn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Has anyone ever tried freezing eggs? In shell or out? Any adverse effects? Thanks so much![​IMG]

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Crack them open & freeze in an ice cube tray. When frozen, pop out & store in a freezer ziplock bag. Make sure you thaw on the counter slowly. They are fine for baking. I do this in late summer to have enough eggs for baking at Christmas, since lots of my girls take a break in the winter.

3. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I've seen this done with the whites. The yolk freezes fine with no adverse effects?

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I have been told two ways and have yet to try either one. First one...... crack and break the yolk, mix with the white, add apinch of salt or sugar, put ina ice cube tray to freeze then place in plastic bag to use for baking. Second just stick the egg, shell and all in the freezer, thaw before breaking. The lady who told me about this said they are good for anything. [​IMG]

5. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    After reading this I went and stuck a whole egg in the freezer. I just remembered it and pulled it out and it had split clean down the center. Maybe my egg was too fresh and didn't have an air sac to releive some of the pressure, but I wouldn't be able to conviniently freeze and thaw this egg..

6. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    [​IMG] i would think the break the egg and scrable then add salt or sugar would be the way to go. BUT I just found out a way to dry eggs!!!!! That IS the way to go!!!!!

7. pmsnrn

pmsnrn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:Please, please, please tell about the egg drying!![​IMG]

8. caspernc

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by