1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freezing Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 8egglayers, Jan 26, 2014.

1. 8egglayers

8egglayers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    Hi everybody:
    Recently, in CT, it has been getting to feel like temperatures of below zero. So I've had a huge problem of all the eggs freezing and splitting down the middle. It isn't that I'm not collecting them often enough, I do this at least 3X a day. I would like to avoid a heat lamp, as I've seen it can cause big problems.
    Any suggestions?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I use my frozen eggs. I let them thaw out then use them up. I thankfully have my hen house in the lean-to of our heated pole barn. The coop doesn't get as cold as is would if it was free standing. Maybe you could stack some straw bales around the windy side to help insulate it and break the wind. Utilize the sunny side by making a solarium with clear plastic wrap. My run is wrapped with plastic, it gets warm in there during the day! If you have a coop with external nest boxes, stack the straw under and around them. Good luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It depends a lot on your setup. If they are in a small coop that you can't walk into, it may be very difficult to heat it with a light bulb or heat lamp safely. Perhaps bales of hay around a small coop, coupled with an incandescent bulb or not, would be enough.

Anything electrical can cause a fire, if not handled properly. And extension cords, even heavy duty outdoor ones, are always chancy. But if you are careful and handle things properly, you should be OK. There are ceramic heaters available. A red heat lamp bulb puts out a lot of heat and may be more than you need. I use a 100W incandescent bulb secured to a ceiling joist to keep the water from freezing; even at 12 degrees, this is sufficient. (Eggs don't freeze and crack for me just being on a good layer of hay, apparently.) Be sure the light bulb socket is ceramic, not plastic, and be sure there is plenty of space between the bulb and anything flammable like hay. Also, always secure any hanging heat source with at least two methods, so if one fails, the other will hold the bulb away from the hay.

4. 8egglayers

8egglayers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    OK. We have a smaller coop, but we can still walk into it. Our nesting boxes are the "built in" ones (with the shape showing off the outside).

5. uglywon

uglywon New Egg

May 5, 2013
    I don't know what your setup is but I purchased an electric ceramic panel heater ($60) which I mounted under the coop. It only draws 150 watts and doesn't 'heat' the coop. But it certainly takes the nip away, keeps the eggs from freezing and it doesn't drive up my electric bill. And, I don't need to worry about it starting a fire.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unfortunately, that's one of the disadvantages of that type of nest. If you have the space to close them off for the winter and add a couple of spots for them to lay inside the coop, their body warmth might solve your problem. Might. Or perhaps, add an old blanket and a tarp, or some such, to them on the outside?

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by