Freezing Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggmachine11, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    It is in the 20's,but the snow on the ground is harsh!
    I have a few questions:My hen,Princess the Production red,was sitting on the coop floor all day,SHIVERING.I mean shaking REALLY bad.Right now she is sitting on my "Chicken Vet Desk" that I use for our sick hens ETC.Any suggestions?

Also,what are syptoms of egg bound?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like you may need to bring her inside since she may be sick, or at least put up a red heat lamp inside your coop to warm up the temperatures. Heat Lamps can be very dangerous to cause fires, so if you use one, make sure that it is very secure. How big is your coop, and how many birds are in there? Make sure there are no direct drafts on the chickens, and that your ventilation is only in the highest part overhead of the chickens. I will close off most ventilation when it gets below zero, but some is needed for moisture to escape to help prevent frostbite. Symptoms of egg binding are sitting more than usual, loss of appetite, abdominal straining, and may have diarrhea or no droppings at all if vent is blocked. Here are some good links about egg binding to read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
    http://beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html

3. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    She free ranges and runs and eats for the most part.It's been cold and she sits more now,or cuddles.She sunbaths,she acts like her self.
    She is in my house,and I have it dark in my computer room,and have gave her some bird feed/Parakeet food to lighten her up.I also have some calming music on just to make her comfortable in the room.She is tamed,and I love her.I'd hate to lose her...

4. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    She even still preens her self.I have saw her poop,but it's more of a squirty type.My hens off and on on droppings.

5. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    She does not walk like a Penguin.And by depressed combs,what may that look like?I have saw her drink.

6. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Tested water drinking.She may have been badly hydrated,she just drunk a whole thing of wateri gave her.

7. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Do you have nipple waterer's outside? is the water in them frozen?

8. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    I don't use those.I use large chicken waterers from the feed store.I recently put 1 in my coop.i had a red heat lamp,but it blew out.Now we havea light bulb to at least put some warmth in th ecoop.I don't know how many feet in particular we have,but about 19,possible 20 birds live in it.It has a few roosts,and many birds sleep on top of nests boxes,and in them.It is medium sized.

9. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    It is weird she was so thirsty. is their water frozen out there? or do they keep her from the water (low on the pecking order? or was she just so cold she couldn't get to the water? just throwing ideas out. How does her crop feel in the morning and at night?

10. Eggmachine11

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Her crop is nice and smushy like is suppose to be (well said from a chicken expert),and it is hard at night.She is maybe mid pecking order,but she has always gotten her way around that coop no matter how bad things get.I give them water from my house and it melts the ice.She gets water etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by