Freezing in Pennsylvania

Brittandclint

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
I live in Pennsylvania and it is going to get very cold! I have 2 hens and I am worried about them being cold and possibly getting frost bit.... We were thinking about putting a heat lamp in the coop.... Should we? And should we leave them in the coop when it gets cold? Anyone have suggestions? Thank you, Brittany

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Lots of new folks wondering the same thing about their birds in this up coming cold snap. I rarely if ever use heat over night, unless the temp is going to drop 30 to 40 degrees lower than the average normal low. They can tolerate 20 degree drops in temp easily at night. Make sure your venting system is up to par so that all moisture from breathing and pooping is whisked up and out the vents. Don't be tempted to close them off. The moisture will build up in the coop and freeze, falling back down on combs giving frost bite. So keep some vents open. Make sure there are no drafts on the birds. You want them to roost in still air. The only moving air should be above them at the vents, going in one side and out the other.

You might also clean out the old bedding and replace it with new bedding. You don't want any more moisture to the air from old poop. Dry bedding. You can also tack an old towel to the roost bar to keep the feet warm. Warm feet mean warmer birds.

Now if it is going to drop 40 or 50 degrees from your normal over nigh low, you can add some heat. Not enough to warm them up significantly. But just enough to warm the air around them a few degrees. Too much heat will produce moisture. Be careful with heat lamps. You don't want a coop fire. If you do use a heat lamp, permanently attach it to the wall. Do not rely on the clamp as it can fall in the night and burn the coop down.

Good luck and great to have you aboard!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 what TwoCrows said. With only two birds, if you have someplace like a garage that won't get as cold you can put them over night, you might consider that.

I live in Pennsylvania and it is going to get very cold! I have 2 hens and I am worried about them being cold and possibly getting frost bit.... We were thinking about putting a heat lamp in the coop.... Should we? And should we leave them in the coop when it gets cold? Anyone have suggestions? Thank you, Brittany
Yes with just two hens in this record breaking cold I'd add some heat if you can do so safely. Don't forget to hang your light at least two ways not including the clamp so it is impossible for it to fall. Also use only ceramic socketed lamps, not plastic.

Back
Top Bottom