freezing temps coming for my geese and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by diehexe1989, Jan 5, 2014.

1. diehexe1989

diehexe1989 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    I have 6 ducks and 4 geese. We have freezing temps coming. On monday a high of 8 degrees and at night low of -1 degrees. Should I lock up my ducks and geese in their coop with their heat lamp until tuesday or should I just leave door open for them and they can come and go as they please. They forage during the day on our property but at night we put them in their pen with duck house. I've never locked them up before inside the coop. Thanks Big Sandy, TN

2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    i did, but during the day i crack the door open and they go out and plain the snow... keeping them warm wont hurt anything that's for sure

3. diehexe1989

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks so much. That's what we are going to do then!!

4. Angsminizoo

Angsminizoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I'm close to Louisville KY and we are supposed yo get down to -20 with the wind chill. I can't get a heat lamp out yo my coop. :( I covered the outside area in plastic and put down a thick layer of straw but I'm sick to my stomached worrying about my ducks.

5. diehexe1989

Jan 5, 2014
    Oh no! I hope everything goes well tonight. I will be thinking about your duckies!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Can you get some sealed containers filled with hot water to set in there?

Or handwarmers wrapped well in cloth?

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don't use heat lamps, that said you could do a door ajar and the let them decide? or this the building not like that? i have on occasion locked/kept my main flock in but that was purely because they were not coming out anyways, i just ensured plenty of feed/water and left them... again no lamp, i have been able to keep things stable enough without that and prefer not to use it, raises risks of chill if i loose hydro and the birds not gaining the "undercoat"(obviously feathering lol) they genuinely need to get through our winters. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How is everyone doing?

9. bahamian raiser

bahamian raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Hope everyone is okay here in florida we dont have to worry about that In the south the high this week is 82 and the low is 39 wish you guys luck

10. diehexe1989

Jan 5, 2014
    Mine are good. It's 8 degrees and the sun is out. Going to check their water and food. Should I let them out of their coop for a while since the sun is out but it's still only 8 degrees. This will be today's high!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by