freezing temps here in n. Indiana

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poolgirl, Jan 7, 2014.

1. poolgirl

poolgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Cedar Lake in
    Went out today and freaked out to see my roo has swollen wattles. I am suspecting frostbitten. Will the swelling go down. I put mentholatum vasolen on the wattles and combs and brought him into the garage. Seems kind of litharject. " not his self" or is he sick? Its been in the negative Temps here in Indiana I have to red 250 heat lamps out there. What's next?? Please help my little buddy!:(

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    He is in pain, that is why he's not acting like his normal self. If there is swelling, he definitely has frostbite. The swelling will go down just keep applying the Vaseline. Good thing you can put him in the garage. Wattles can get frostbit from being dipped into the waterer when they are getting a drink.

If his wattles crack and start bleeding, you can pat them dry with a paper towel and gently rub flour on the crack to stop the bleeding.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The swelling should go down in the next couple of days. You might try using some Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment to help prevent infection, but the vaseline is good for today. Heat lamps can be dangerous, and most coops don't need them unless temps are down to -30, unless the coop is drafty, or has little overhead ventilation for moisture to escape. Here are a couple of good links for frostbite:
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/frostbite-in-chickens.aspx

4. poolgirl

poolgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    Cedar Lake in
    Thx ill try this. Rock the foo says thx too :)

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some who have had roosters with swollen wattles have reported that their roosters are very sore and won't eat or drink. Tempt him with any favorite foods such as eggs, yogurt, low salt tuna, raw liver, moist chicken feed, or whatever he likes. Watermelon is good for fluids. Also just to be complete, swollen wattles are also a symptom or fowl cholera ans coryza as well as frostbite--just need to mention it, although there should be other signs of illness in those diseases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by