1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freezing Temps: What happens to eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Hey gang,

Just got some eggs from my girls. Some of them I'm sure were there overnight when it was super freezing. I'm not hatching chicks or anything, just eating eggs. Does freezing do anything to eggs texture, taste, etc?

Thanks!

2. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Freezing Temps: What happens to eggs?

I'm no expert, but I believe the eggs freeze.​

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    hahahaha...

Wow, you guys know everything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seriously though, does freezing an egg change the texture, taste, color, anything else (post thaw)?

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I'd check the eggs carefully in case the freezing caused the shells to crack. That could let in bacteria. Otherwise, Im sure they'd be fine to eat.
    How about if you try some.... and let the rest of us know, K?[​IMG]

chel

5. I'll let you know what happens [​IMG]
    I just put a few in the freezer as an experiment, lol.

Lisa
    [​IMG]

6. Sandyki

Sandyki Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    If they have frozen hard enough that the shell has cracked, I toss them. Otherwise, I just use them as usual with no problems. I don't notice a difference in texture.

When we used to have too many eggs at one time, my mom would freeze them. She'd crack each egg and put one in each section of an ice cube tray, then use them for scrambled or for baking. She would always use a toothpick to break the yolk and 'stir' it in with the white. She said a frozen yolk got 'tough', but if mixed with the white it did not. I honestly don't know if this is true, but..... "It's what my momma always used to say!"

[​IMG]
    Sandy

7. ChrisnTiff

ChrisnTiff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Crane, Missouri
    I do believe it is best to scramble after freezing as the yolk will not stay intact after a hard freeze. Though I'm anxious to see the result of dipsy's experiment.

Chris

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I brought in a couple eggs that had been in an outside nest box for 24 hours and the temps had reached below freezing over night. They looked fine so I set them on the counter and when I looked at them later one of them was oozing. It must have had some little cracks from the cold. The others looked fine, but I havent eaten them yet.

chel

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I/m not sure what the freezing point for eggs is. It may be higher or lower than water. I may have to go find out.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have been finding one that look like the poor penguin eggs that froze in March Of The Penguins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by