Freezing Temps

KTobolka

Chirping
Mar 25, 2020
I have 10 month old Buff Orpingtons. Fully Grown. Full Feathered.
Question: I live in Dallas area. We will be having extremely cold temps for at least 8 days for our area. Lows ranging between 13 and 32. Should I take any precautions for these as I know they are cold hardy chickens. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

KT

Those are quite comfortable temperatures for fully-feathered, adult chickens. Much easier for them to deal with than the 95-105F heat you'll be getting this summer.

Make sure that they have liquid water and a dry, well-ventilated coop and they should be fine.

This is my southern-winterized coop thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/winterizing-coop-and-pen-nc-sandhills-version.1431885/

I've had nights down to about 23F so far and am expecting a bit colder for a couple nights this week. I take the waterer inside overnight and put it back out in the morning.

I have 10 month old Buff Orpingtons. Fully Grown. Full Feathered.
Question: I live in Dallas area. We will be having extremely cold temps for at least 8 days for our area. Lows ranging between 13 and 32. Should I take any precautions for these as I know they are cold hardy chickens. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

KT
Just make sure the chickens don't get rained on...

other than that,you should be fine

Just make sure the chickens don't get rained on...
This was my flock in 42 degree rain last week:

0131211725_HDR.jpg

They *could* have stayed in the coop.

They *could* have stayed under the picnic fly where it was dry.

They preferred to be out getting wet and digging up bugs.

This was my flock in 42 degree rain last week:

View attachment 2523529

They *could* have stayed in the coop.

They *could* have stayed under the picnic fly where it was dry.

They preferred to be out getting wet and digging up bugs.
Oh good grief! :rolleyes:

Some times.... those little bird brains...

It’s struggling to get above zero here this week. My birds are in an unheated coop and doing just fine. Be sure there is liquid water available, your area for them is draft free but allows for plenty of ventilation. (my first year I lost a couple combs to frostbite due to lack of ventilation-lesson learned)

I'm in CO and it was 9 degrees when I let my birds out at 6:30 this morning. They started out pretty slow and waited maybe around 15 minutes to start rummaging in their run like usual but they are fine. It's looking like we will hit 5 degrees and lower later on this week.

I've never provided heat. I just always make sure they are dry and no drafts in coop. The water freezing is the biggest pain for me. They are scared of the giant heated waterer I have so I keep an eye on them with their normal waterer and refill couple times a day.

Back
Top Bottom