freezing tomatoes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by panner123, Aug 15, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    My wife heard you can freeze tomatoes, how is this done?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Well....................

They aren't going to come out like you would get right off the vine. They would be good for soups or sauses, but that's it.

I blanch them. Peel them. Let them cool. Pop them in the freezer.

I can tell you that they are much better if you stew them down first or better yet put them up in cans.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I freeze all of my tomatoes cause I just don't can stuff hardly. Take them and peel them, quarter them or cut them to whatever size you want (soups, chili, spaghetti size etc...) then let them cool and put them in freezer bags. They will taste just like you pulled them fresh and cooked with them. I have been doing this for years and you can't tell the difference in canned and frozen. I promise.

4. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    I use mine for sauce.

I blanche, peel, squeeze out the seeds and that jelly goo, then add a tsp of salt and some basil. Then I macerate them by hand, bag them and freeze them in gallon bags.

When it comes time to defrost I just throw the bag in the pot until I can get the tomatoes out, then cook it down. Since the salt was added they cook down a lot faster. I'm paranoid about canning [​IMG] This has worked well for us for years.

5. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    I Freeze mine too....like everyone said there no longer good for all you recipies after you freeze them. I love putting them in my chicken soup whole and it cooks down into this red golden broth delicious! [​IMG] Aslo great for stews.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I freeze about 100 or so lbs a year. Just all boiled down to soups and sauces to be frozen.

7. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    When I canned a lot of them...I used to just wash them and quarter them and put in a freezer bag until I could get to them! Worked fine!

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    When I have frozen tomatoes, I've quartered them, frozen them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and then bagged them. They are great in anything cooked. I found that after they were frozen, running them under a little hot water loosened the skin and you could peel it right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by