Freezing tonight

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdwrangler057, Dec 8, 2016.

1. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hello,
    My grandmother and mother are worried about it being too cold for my birds, its supposed to get down to 35 degrees tonight. Sould I install a light, I read that its unhealthy for them to have a heat lamp. Help please.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I live in Michigan and it gets colder than that here and I just leave them how they are. My coop is very well insulated and they don't seem to have a problem with the temperature.

3. BoyankaTheBuff

BoyankaTheBuff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Minneapolis, MN
    They should be ok as long as the temperature change is not a shock (for instance, going from heated to non-heated) and as long as they have ventilation and protection from drafts/moisture. What kind of birds do you have?

4. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I personally am not worried about it, my grandma is. I have Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Jersey giants, and EE's. it usually gets down to 40-45 degrees on a regular basis. Get pretty cold in Michigan

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They'll be fine.

6. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thanks for assuring that.

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

As long as your Coop is vented properly your RIR should be fine.....Frost bite can happen if moisture is high.......Vaseline helps to prevent that.....

Cheers!

8. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Thanks, I actually have been rubbing Vaseline on their comb/waddles for years!

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Cheers!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can remind your Grandma that all those breeds (except the EE, they came up from South America) were developed in New England or (old) England long before there was electricity. They're from hardy stock.

I know folks in the south are always more worried about birds in the cold. Remember, folks in the north keep birds with no heat, where it doesn't get above freezing for days on end.

As long as they have enough feed and water, are dry and out of the wind, in a decently ventilated coop where moisture does not build up, they'll be all good.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by