Freezing Water Trouble

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Okay, okay. I know this thread is ALWAYS posted, but I have a few issues that some other people don't! I live upstate NY and it gets cold. This is my first year with chickens, and I have 9 hens. Since it's dropped below freezing temps, I've usually kept going outside and giving them more water that isn't frozen, and I've been completely fine until now. I can't go out every single hour or so anymore because I have school for 7 hours in the morning, so I won't be able to go out, and I'm pretty much the only one who can go out.. Heated waterers you say? I don't have an extension cord long enough to run from the coop to an outlet. Any ideas on what else I can do? TIA.

St. Louis here, it's 5 degrees out now. I use a 5 gallon bucket with nipples. In the morning I fill with hot water from the tap. Most of the time when it's above 15, that will get me through the day. When it's this cold, I do a mid-day refresh with hot water again. It doesn't freeze for at least 5-7 hours, the volume of the hot water delays freeze. If you need to, they should be fine for a few hours without water while you're gone, just offer when you return. Not a great long-term solution, though! :) I'm ready for spring!!

Nice suggestions. So I was thinking for now I'll bring warm water in the morning and afternoon, and after I order this one gallon rubber feeder, I'd fill it in the morning, pop the ice out in the afternoon and refill it with warm water. Right now I have plastic waterers which cracked so I'm currently using 2 bowls. One to keep inside and switch out with the other one to let the ice melt down.

Back
Top Bottom