1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

freezing water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by denise Flores, Dec 18, 2016.

1. denise Flores

denise Flores Just Hatched

Aug 7, 2016
    I am trying to find some info about a power source. it appears to hold power for 8 hrs. my coop is a long distance from any power. any comments out there?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    6 or 12 volt car battery with a cheap inverter will allow you to plug in a low wattage heater such as a cookie tin warmer. If you get a small solar panel and hook that into the battery, the sun can recharge the battery each day. It would get you through the winter.

3. denise Flores

Aug 7, 2016
    thank you very much. have everything ordered. I hope I can figure out how to hook up everthing.

4. denise Flores

Aug 7, 2016
    well i have a panel a battery and i need to purchase a inverter. what kind of wiring do I need and where do I get it. also is this stuff weather proof?

5. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Without seeing what you bought I would guess most of the stuff is not made to be exposed to weather. The solar panel obviously is but I am assuming the rest of the equipment should be inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by