Freezing Water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by P-Funk, Feb 19, 2012.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    My chooks have a heated water bowl (nomally used for the cat) in their coop during the winter. I don't know what I'd do without it, aside from move them into the house. They hate it, maybe because it's warm water. For some reason they would much rather drink out of their standing bell waterer but it's been frozen since November. 3 times a day I pour hot over it and it thaws for about 20 minutes. They dive at it like Oprah on a baked ham. Does anyone have any ideas to prevent this water from freezing??? I tried a space-heater-like-fan-thing next to it but to no avail. Maybe an additive like sugar? Thanks, P

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Try sitting the standing waterer on top of the warm cat bowl to see if the cat bowl can warm the water enough to keep it thawed. I made 2 cookie tin heaters to sit the standing waterer on. Using an empty cookie tin, make a small hole in the side to insert a light socket and a small light bulb inside all wired to a cord and plug. Place the cover on, turn on the light, and place your standing waterer on top. At the hardware store in the lighting dept, there is a light socket already wired to a cord and plug for under $4. I got the cookie tins at a thrift store for $0.50 each.

3. happycountryhens

happycountryhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    I just change the waterers twice daily so they have fresh, unfrozen water. I have 2 waterers in my big coop and they look the same. Interestingly, the chickens definitely prefer one over the other.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  4. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Maybe you can get a second waterer identical to your original waterer and keep the second one inside as your first one freezes. When the first one is frozen, just switch 'em out.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Set the waterer on a wooden or metal box with a light bulb in it

6. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thanks, all! The girls live in a relatively unconventional setting. I.E. one of the converted horse stalls and runs. The barn is heated but the stalls need to be left open so said 'donkeys' can free range. I call them donkeys 'cause all they do eat and s*#t. So far I've tried all of your ideas, minus Bear Foots, as it scares me to put another bulb in there (fire). I'll try attach some pics, as they say 1000 words. Preston[​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I'd just buy one or two more and switch them out with unfrozen ones once or twice a day. It would probably be the safest way.

8. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    OK that was not the picture I wanted. Still getting used to this new style.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OK maybe we need some new pics......

9. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    I wrapped my pail, pvc pipe (with the nipple waterers) with electric heat tape... it worked OK until it got -25. But thank goodness that only happens occasionally.
    What I liked about it is its not a fire hazard as heat lamps or bulbs can be.

10. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thanks! Heat tapes an idea!, but when it hits -25 the barn gets shut down like fort knox and the animals keep it warm. That only happened one week last year. I like to let the animals take advantage of the land here. The horses have blankets and only one of my girls got frostbite on her comb, but it got better with vaseline. It's the fact they don't like warm water that disturbes me. Oh well, at least it's water and the spring is springing! Hail to all you flatlanders for all your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by