Freezing Weather and Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dayers1109, Mar 4, 2013.

1. dayers1109

dayers1109 New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    I set my coup up to be fairly self sufficient since I travel on business a lot during the week. So I usually gather the eggs on Friday or Saturday when I get home. I wondering with the cold weather if that is ok. It's cold enought here (Ohio) for the eggs to freeze so I'm wondering if they are ok, will they still keep in the refridgerator, or should I toss them out if I've been gone for a few days.

Appreciate any advice

2. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    They are fine. however, if they froze, then be prepared that even though they will thaw in the fridge, the yolk is likely to be a bit "gelled" when you go to use them.

3. AQHAchick22

AQHAchick22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    Agreed, they will be fine. Also be aware that if they froze the shells could be a bit cracked. I'm in upstate NY and I've had a few frozen ones with some small cracks in them.

4. MamaFix3

MamaFix3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    I have had a few frozen eggs this year we still used them and they were fine. We had a few that were cracked from feezing as well and just got rid of thoughs because they were big cracks

5. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    If the eggs freeze sometimes the eggs crack. Look real close to see the cracks.

6. dayers1109

dayers1109 New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    My biggest concern is if they would keep ok in the refridge - I know eggs have their own 'immune system' so I wanted to make sure they wouldn't spoil quicker after they had been frozen.

I do notice that if I hard boild them - the whites are a little musy where they have been frozen. I don't think they freeze hard.

Haven't seen any issues with cracked eggs yet.

Thanks for the advice !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by