Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
Hello everyone,

I am from Central Massachusetts and I have 4 hens that are about one and a half years old. I have my hens in a large over ez chicken coop, its been altered to have more ventilation at the top. The coop normally only stays about 5-10 degrees warmer than outside in the winter due to it not being insulated. Tomorrow (Friday January 3rd it will be about 15 degrees in the early morning and dropping all day and overnight into Saturday January 4th. Overnight it will be about -7 with a wind chill of -30. Saturday February 4th will be a high of 14. The lowest they have ever experienced is 20 degrees.

ALSO I SHOULD MENTION, ONE OF MY HENS (AN AUSTRALORP) WHO IS A RUNT JUST STARTED MOLTING, SHE IS ABOUT HALF WAY THOUGH SO SHE HAS LOST A LOT OF FEATHERS. I am worried she will not be able to stay warm.

My question is should I bring in my four girls throughout the entire day Friday and throughout the night and day Saturday. I can put them in my garage, but they will not have a large space to run around in. It will be much warmer though. I have never experienced this temp before so I don't know what to do. Thank you for all your help.

We have had very unusually cold nights here, and I awoke to this mess once it got light enough to see....

Attachments

• Icicle Fence.jpg
    Icicle Fence.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom