freezing weather

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sillystunt, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I am not sure if i am posting in right place but it's urgent! I live in Florida and it's gonna get a 10-12 freeze. I have 2 chickens and a duck , coop with no heat, and i am worried. I am not sure if they will be OK in their coop since their Florida chickens and are not used to this cold. i have them in dog cage in fl room but they are freaking out(it's large) Can i put them in their coop and cover the door? or should i keep them in dog cage????
    Thanks

2. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Since our hens up in Maine our fine with no heat, no insulation, and -24 degree nights, I think you'll be OK unless one of your chickens is completely naked. If you are really concerned stick a heat lamp out there with an extention cord.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    They are in the cage now. the only heater i have I pulled into the Florida room where 4 cats, our dog link , both chickens and our duck are. It's pretty warm and they have seemed to settled down and chilled out. I think i'll leave them there, now for the plants.....LOL Spoiled Floridian

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I am having the same problem with my chickens. I put heat lamps in the coops so far they have been OK The waterer was froen but the birds survived. I don't care where you live north or south when it hits 18 degrees its cold............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by