1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freezing winter hands

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by graciegirl, Nov 27, 2010.

1. graciegirl

graciegirl New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    This is my first year with a chicken coop of 5 chicks. I use a heated water dish. I dump the water bowl outside and always get wet. My hands are getting colder. Is there a suggestion for women's waterproof, warm gloves that still allow for good dexterity when I am working outside in very cold weather. What brands, etc have you found to allow you to do your chores, keep warm and feel that you have good dexterity.

2. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Neoprene gloves would probably help. Sporting goods stores should carry them. Good luck!

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If you have access to Bass Pro Shop or Cabella's they both sell trappers' gloves that are designed to be used in water. Unlike some of the sport gloves they are lined. I've had a pair I've used for years and like them.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:Yep works great!!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have been using neoprene gloves for the past week, and they are keeping my hands so much cleaner as well as warm!!

I wash them off with a little dish detergent now and then. No more chicken poo on my hands every day!!

[​IMG]

6. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
  7. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:Duluth Trading is one of my favorite places to shop for clothes. Comfy, rugged, wonderful clothes. Yay.

8. graciegirl

graciegirl New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    Thanks for responses for freezing winter hands. Just ordered gloves from Duluth Trading Company. Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Take a tube sock and dump rice in it.. tie the end and microwave... put this in your pockets...to keep your hands warm even with gloves on your hands can get cold

10. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Glad to have been able to assist. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by