Freezing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by trulyblessed, Jun 21, 2011.

1. trulyblessed

trulyblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    What is the best way to freeze the chickens? Do you use ziplocks, vaccuum seals? I was think do some whole, some sectioned into breasts/legs/thighs/ect. How do you guys do it?

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

a whole chicken you definately want to vaccum seal it. Vaccuming any and all is your best route, but I do use freezer ziplock bags sometimes for sectioned pieces.

the longer you plan to keep it stored in the freezer, the better off you'll be with a vaccum sealer. [​IMG] A vaccum sealer is extremely handy to have around.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    x2

4. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I used to vacuum seal both whole chickens and chicken parts. The cost of the vacuum bags was insane so I started using the heat shrink bags for the whole chickens and I still use the vacuum bags for the parts since the parts will fit in a much smaller bag than a whole chicken. The heat shrink bags will keep fine for about 6 monts so if you want to keep things longer than that, you'll need to vacuum seal.

5. gs3

gs3 New Egg

May 14, 2011
    What is the most cost effective way to freeze the chickens for up to a year and if that is vaccum sealing where do I get the best sealer for my money and how much should I expect to pay for one I plan to use to freeze about 50 chickens now and then use in the future? Also where is a good place to purchase the bags or wrap for a sealer?

6. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Quote:I would love to know as well. I want to get one to help save money.

7. deserthound

deserthound Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Quote:If you plan on doing quantities like you mention here, I highly recommend going with a quality product and not the bottom end Chinese junk just to save money up front. I went through 3 FoodSavers before upgrading to a commercial product and haven't looked back. We've put up almost 600 chickens over the past 2 years and enjoy the vacuum process. My neighbor and I split the cost and share the machine and we each buy our own bags/rolls. You'll struggle to do a whole 7+ lb. chicken on a Foodsaver, but with 15x18 bags on the Weston, no problem.
    http://www.amazon.com/Weston-65-0101-Pro-2100-Vacuum-Sealer/dp/B001GP6052. You can find it cheaper by shopping around.
    http://www.provacuumsealers.com/vacuum_sealer_bags_rolls.htm for bags & rolls.

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Thanks so much for the info. Decided to take the plunge and got one. Plan to use it quite a bit.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The Ziplocs are for short term. 8 weeks absolute max. They aren't airtight like they used to be. They aren't all that cheap, either, if you figure the cost per bag and that you will throw it away after one use.

Butcher paper and freezer tape does a very good job of protecting meat in the freezer if you don't want to buy a vacuum sealer. I've had meat wrapped correctly in butcher paper and frozen for over 2 years come out as good as new.

I've got a vacuum sealer and like it, but a large whole chicken would be difficult to fit into one of the bags.

If you want to use ziplocs, wrap the meat in plastic wrap first. Then it will store long term.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by